Six Partner Churches and their Mission
Bremen Mission was founded in 1836 in Hamburg by Lutheran and Reformed Christian mission societies. The first missionaries left for West Africa in 1847. During the First World War, the colony German-Togoland (founded in 1884) which was to a large extent identical with the mission territory was invaded by French and British troops. 52 workers of the mission were imprisoned. Later on, when the region was split into a British and a French mandated territory by the League of Nations, Bremen Mission was to a large extent prohibited from providing any further support to the congregations which had been established. The work had to be transferred to other missions, but close contact to Bremen was maintained.
When Togo and Ghana became independent, the churches in these countries requested Bremen Mission to provide assistance in development projects and evangelisation. From 1960 onwards, ecumenical workers – not missionaries – were delegated to Togo and Ghana.
According to an agreement signed in 1980 the mission society was changed into a common mission of the Bremen Evangelical Church, the Evangelical-Reformed Church, the Lippe Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Oldenburg. In 2001, a new constitution was agreed upon giving equal partnership rights to the Presbyterian churches of Ghana and Togo which were established through the mission work.
Wir möchten Menschen ermutigen, ihr Lebensengagement in Bezug auf andere zu gestalten.